Saturday, February 15, 2014

9 lbs. 2 oz. and 22 inches long! He was perfect!

                          Finally, I slept! It was wonderful! When I woke up all I wanted to do was eat. I was so hungry. I ordered a huge chicken cesear salad and scarfed it down. I decided to just get comfortable because I had the whole day to just relax and sleep as much as I could before we would meet our son the next morning. Some of our closest friends that Brian hangs out with on Sunday nights called and wanted to come see us. I said sure! The more the merrier. My friend Ty had gone home to get some much needed rest before she and her husband went out to dinner with friends. She called me right before they left to make sure that there were no changes and that we were on schedule for David to be born the next day. I told her everything was good and that it was safe for her to leave and have a great time! That was around 3:00. I then called my Mom because it was her birthday and I wanted to wish her a happy birthday and let her know what was going on and ensure her that everything was fine and on schedule. Little did I know I would be calling her and Ty an hour later with an update.
                            Brian was resting when the doctor came in and said that because I was diagnosed with pre eclampsia they felt that my C-section needed to happen as soon as possible. Then she told me that because I had just eaten an hour before this that I was going to have to wait until 11:00pm.... 8 HOURS.... to have the C-section. I was so frustrated. I thought, "Can we just get this over already?" PTL the anesthesiologist on call decided that it was not necessary to wait that long because I didn’t have a history of difficulty with anesthesia. Dr. Lee was awesome! He met with me before and answered all my concerns and put me completely at ease both prior and during the C-section. As long as I live in Lynchburg if I ever have a surgery I will be requesting that he be my anesthesiologist if at all possible. As I mentioned before Brian was resting when the doctor came in and he sat up and immediately started making calls to our pastor and posting on FB that the C-section would be happening very soon. I called my Mom and told her that she would be getting a grandson for her birthday. Then I called Ty to let her know that they had changed plans and David would be born asap. I felt so bad that she would miss his birth. She was over an hour away. There was no way she would make it in time. I assured her that it was ok and that she had already been there for me. I knew she would come to see David as soon as she was back in town that night. The doctor said that David would be born within the next hour and a half. At that point everything went crazy.
                            The nurse was coming in and preparing me for surgery, Brian was making calls, the staff was having Brian change into scrubs for the operating room. Next thing I knew I was being taken to the OR and having a spinal block put in. At that point I had no fear.....all I wanted was for David to be born. I wasn’t nervous at all. The nurse was so great that helped me stay still during the spinal block. Immediately it took effect and I was on the operating table. Time seemed to be going so slow. I kept asking where Brian was. It seemed like an eternity before they let him come in. But as soon as they did the doctor started the C-section and within 5 or so minutes out came our beautiful red headed bouncing baby boy! It was Sunday, May 6, 2012 and 5:25pm. He was 9 lbs. 2 oz. and 22 inches long! He was perfect! I can still see him being raised up by the nurse.....he was beautiful! I remember Brian telling me that he had red hair. :) I had silently prayed in my heart for a child with red hair. To me that was just an extra blessing. I remember the nurse coming over to me and putting David close to me while they finished up the operation. He was beautiful! Since he was technically a preemie they kept him in the NICU for a few hours but Brian assured me that everything was fine. It was. After they had finished with me in recovery and moved me to the mother/baby room Brian went to the NICU to check on David and wouldn’t leave him for the two hours that David was there. Daddy was in love with his little boy. Brian told me later that night that the nurses didn’t know what to do with "Bohemouth".....he was huge compared to these tiny little preemies that they had in there. I remember being so jealous that I had to wait to be with David. But, I was glad that he was healthy and was being taken care of. We named him David John Long after Brian's father David and my father John. His name also means Man after God's own heart and Friend of God. I pray that he grows up to be both....to love the Lord with all his heart, mind, soul and strength and that he would have a soft heart towards Jesus. The day I met the Lord, the day I married Brian and the day that David John Long came into the world are the three greatest days of my life. Without them I can’t even imagine what life would have been like. Now what in the world do we do with this child? lol



                                               












No comments:

Post a Comment