Saturday, February 8, 2014

It Was A Sunday.........

                                  It was a Sunday. I was scheduled to have a C-Section on Monday. Brian would normally spend Sunday night with friends like he does every Sunday night. We decided that since that would be our last night having it just be the two of us he would stay home with me....besides I was going to have to be at the hospital early Monday morning. We were soooo excited! I was excited and nervous and impatient all at the same time. At that time I could not remember what it felt like not have a huge basketball inside me. :) I was so ready to not feel like a gigantic balloon about to pop! I remember being soooo happy that I was put on bed rest the week before David was born because I just felt so huge I just really didn’t want one more person to tell me....wow! I guess you are about ready huh? Actually, a friend ended up going to Target with me because I had to buy stuff for the hospital. I wasn’t supposed to be walking around but I really needed to go. So, her solution was to go to Target and she rode around in the little motorized carts with me....she drove one and I drove one. We were a pretty hilarious site. It was a memory I will never forget as I kept crashing into the aisles. LOL It was a fun time with a dear friend who was a constant encouragement and who David will always call Aunt Ty. :)
                      For the last few months of my pregnancy I made the couch my bed. It was the only place I could get comfortable. It was the only place that I could actually get a decent night sleep. I was getting ready to go to sleep on Saturday night and then about 12:30am on Sunday morning I just knew something just didn’t feel right. I had had a condition that developed a week prior to this called cholestasis. It makes you itch throughout your entire body even inside your mouth but you don’t get a rash. You just itch. It can be dangerous because it can affect the liver and also the baby. The only way to get rid of it is to deliver. It’s kind of like your body becomes allergic to the pregnancy. And as my luck would have it I was chosen to be a part of the 1% that develops cholestasis. Well, that particular evening it felt like I just could not handle it anymore! I could not stop itching all over! It was horrible. Because I knew that it was potentially dangerous I told Brian we needed to go to the hospital. I just didn’t feel right. So, around 12:30am we left for the hospital. When we arrived at the hospital they monitored me and reviewed my pregnancy history. They were concerned that throughout my pregnancy my blood pressure had constantly been high. I had been monitored about a week earlier due to it being 170/100. So after checking me and the baby the doctor finally at around 5:00am said they were going to keep me over night since it would just be one more day before they would deliver David by C-Section. They were more concerned at this point about Pre Eclampsia than the Cholestasis issue. All I was thinking was, "Praise the Lord! I really didn’t want to have to be sent home only to turn around and have to come back again"! I had not slept since Saturday morning so at this point I was going almost 24 hours with no sleep. I was exhausted and all I wanted to do was get a bed and try to sleep.
                 My friend Ty had planned on being my doula when the plan was to deliver but since I was now scheduled to have a C-Section she had just planned on coming when we had arrived at the hospital on Monday morning. I had called her Sunday when I was leaving for the hospital and she met us there and stayed from about 1am to around 7:30 or so. I will be forever grateful for her sacrifice of being there in the middle of the night and staying with me while Brian ran home and grabbed necessities from the house. At that point the plan was to just rest on Sunday and then the next morning I would have my C-Section as planned. Well.....sometimes life throws you a curve ball.













No comments:

Post a Comment