Sunday, January 5, 2014

Autism?!?! Seriously?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

          I could not understand what was happening.  I had never heard of a person being diagnosed in adulthood.  I thought it was just a childhood diagnosis.  How in the world could my husband have autism and I not even recognize it?  After all I was married to the man for almost 12 years! I had my Bachelors in Child Psychology, Masters in Education, taught children who had Autism and a nephew who was on the spectrum.  How could I not recognize this? I had always thought that my husband was unique but that was one of the reasons why I loved him. Here he was coming home and announcing out of the blue that he was researching the possibility for a few months and he believed he had Autism.  It was so hard for me to wrap my brain around it. But, little did I know that The Lord was going to be working on my heart and preparing me for the new normal.  
       The part of this story that I love most though, is how The Lord used a child who had Autism to reveal this to Brian and therefore helped to start us on this journey.  I praise The Lord for this child.  Brian had taught this precious boy and as he taught him he felt like he was looking into the mirror that was reflecting who he was as a child. 
       I wish I could say that I had a good response.  The fact is I didn't.  I entered a state of denial as he went to have himself tested.  As we waited for the results we were told that this was actually a possibility.  I thought it was ridiculous.  Boy was I in for a dose of reality and that is where the story gets interesting.....
     

No comments:

Post a Comment