Thursday, January 9, 2014

Of course he is intellegent!!! Duh!!!!

         After Brian had told me that he suspected he had Autism I knew that he was going to get tested.  And so the testing began.  He asked for a referral from his doc and made an appointment with a psychiatrist to have the testing done.  He was given testing for a few hours and came home exhausted.  He was excited though about the whole thing. He was excited that he was going to find an answer to all his questions.  He was going to have an answer and be able to do something about it.  He was happy. I wasn't.....I didn't want anything to do with this on the inside. Please dont misunderstand I was VERY HAPPY that he was doing this for himself.  I wanted this for him.  It was just hard for me.  It scared me. I remember he took the tests and then they gave him a test that I had to take regarding him.  I answered all the questions. Brian sent the tests in and we waited for our appointment.  We met with the psychiatrist together.  I was sure he would get someone that would just diagnose just to diagnose and tell him a bunch of junk that would be total garbage.  I walked into the office with a very cautious, protective attitude. I remember listening to all that the doctor had to say. I didn't say a word for awhile.  I just listened.  She went over all his tests and I remember her saying how intelligent Brian was. She said that he tested very high on the IQ testing that he took.  I remember thinking, "well, duh, of course he is intelligent!  I don't need a test to tell me that!"  I have always been impressed by how intelligent Brian is.  He is extremely gifted in teaching and is very creative.  Those are things that I have always loved about him.  He is an excellent writer too!  Hint Hint Brian if you are reading this (which I am sure you are) you need to start writing again!  :) Then she asked me a few more questions about my thoughts and clarified some things that I had answered regarding Brian. She did say that she was "conservative in her diagnosis of individuals because I don't want to make a mountain out of a mole hill".  At that point I began to lower the wall. I began to listen to her and take this more seriously. At that point is when I saw that we were there for a purpose.  I didn't like what the purpose was but I began to see that this was a good thing.  She discussed with us what she thought would be her diagnosis:  OCD and Aspergers/Autism.  She said she would review the changes to my answers that she needed to clarify and then send us her final diagnosis..... So we waited......

No comments:

Post a Comment